Welcome to the Chemistry Department
Chemistry is all around us and has a major influence on our everyday lives; from the air we breathe, to the food we eat, to the clothes and make-up we wear (very important to all the ladies!), to the houses we live in – and these are just a few examples.
Chemistry is a very popular at Victoria College and in the department we aim to:
· Develop an interest and enthusiasm for chemistry
· Develop essential knowledge and understanding of different areas of chemistry and how they relate to each other
· Develop curiosity about the material and physical worlds and provide insight into and experience of how science works
· Enable students to engage with chemistry in their everyday lives and develop an interest in further study and careers in chemistry or related disciplines
Key Stage 4 and AS/A2
Students learn both the theory and practice of the subject, observing practical demonstrations and carrying out supervised experiments. Most of the examinations are written but there will is also an assessed coursework component.
At Key Stage 4 pupils follow the CCEA GCSE SpecificationAt AS and A2 pupils follow the OCR Chemistry A Specification
Chemistry allows the development of the following transferable skills: communication, application of number, use of information technology, working with others, problem solving, analysis, evaluation and independent learning.
Pupils at all levels are made aware of the range of careers that would require the study of Chemistry, such as Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Veterinary Science, Food Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, and the Pharmaceutical industry.
Achievements and Successes
Over the last number of years the Chemistry department has had students placed in the top three in CCEA GCSE Chemistry:
· Kristina Marshall was first
· Manvi Singhal was second
· Sophie Stewart was third
68% of GCSE Chemistry students achieved an A* or A grade in Summer 2013
64% of A2 Chemistry students achieved an A* or A grade in Summer 2012